A 6 month trek across the US involves lots of miles on the road. We have gotten really good at staying preoccupied both driver & passenger. So, have a long road trip coming up? Check out how we pass the time & stay awake!
Disclaimer: this post contains Amazon affiliate links. Please see more on our Disclosures page. We only recommend products that we really love and trust!
We are big fans of audible, and have been since before we started this full time RV life. The membership is affordable and is just the right amount for us. You can try out audible here, https://amzn.to/2Yhp7la, free for 30 days & take a new book on your next road trip! See why we love it:
- You are given 3 credits a month with the monthly membership
- can always purchase more
- & can roll over left over credits for 5 months
Our favorite benefit is that we can both listen and have something to discuss. This really helps on those long night hauls that get tough & sleepy. Listening & commenting on the book has gotten us through! Here are some of our favorites as of late:
- Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover
- While I wasn’t the biggest fan of the tone of the book, there are some great principles to take away from this method. Check it out on Amazon here https://amzn.to/2HDW5Hq.
- The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Intelligent Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing!
- Since we are invested into real estate and property investing, this book was awesome. If you are in real estate too, check it out, it is filled with amazing content: https://amzn.to/2UWrZlk
Podcasts are definitely our go to when we hit the road. We like that they are a little shorter than books & they are free! Some of our favorites are below:
One of the hardest things for me with Podcasts is that not all episodes of the same podcast capture my attention the same way. Here are a few of my top podcast episodes:
- Crime Junkie – Murdered: Robert Wone
- This American Life – Beware of the Jabberwock
- To Live & Die in LA
- Crime Junkie – Missing: Sneha Phillip
Ah, the luxury of being a passenger. Little responsibility, more space and what sometimes feels like endless time. My favorite item that I have in the RV for our drives is my lap laptop holder. I am actually writing from it right now! Get yourself one here: https://amzn.to/2utdBW8.
It works perfect for taking out my computer, eating lunch or writing down our next month’s route in my planner. If you plan to work while on the move this is essential!
Coffee, coffee, coffee. It is the key to Micah’s long drives and keeping him awake. Our routine usually includes making a large pot of coffee and Micah sipping it throughout the drive, the hum of our RV is seriously like you are being rocked to sleep. I struggle hard to stay awake.
Keeping Micah’s coffee warm is critical so his YETI mug comes in handy, https://amzn.to/2U4bBSQ. It is large, keeps the coffee warm for hours and fits right into the cup holder just perfectly.
These are just our must haves but you can’t forget the food. Depending on our mood we range from hoarding peanut M&Ms to challenging each other to drink X amount of water before we reach our destination. Balance am I right?