Life on the road can be tough.
Finding essentials like places to sleep for the night, dump stations, propane, gas that doesn’t cost a fortune. It can all be really stressful. Along the way, I have developed an arsenal of apps & websites that have helped us limit the stress and efficiently find all of these resources. Take a peek below and see which ones may help you along the way!
- This is the first app I check when we are looking for really anything on the road. It has gas stations, road grades, overnight parking, propane & so much more. You can sort based on what you are looking for and it has worked really well for me in spotty reception areas. Upgrade to the pro version for little cost & get some great features!
- This has been an absolute lifesaver for us when it comes to mountain driving. We drive a 1995 motorhome towing a fairly heavy Jeep (that is probably too heavy) and mountains are not our friends. We use this web based app to track our route and monitor grades to determine if we need to unhook the Jeep or find a different route.
- Google maps has been getting increasingly better with their notifications and search features. We use this to double check out GPS route, check for restaurants, gas stations & other stops along the way + monitor traffic. I also use this to see satellite views of the areas and parking lots we plan to boondock in. Getting a sense for the space helps a lot when pulling up with a 30+ foot vehicle!
- This website has been our best resource when finding boondocking locations. Whether its for a night to sleep or a spot we can camp out at for a week, we always seem to find something. My favorite part is that the reviews are extensive and give you a really good idea of the area. We have yet to come across a spot that had inaccurate descriptions
- I go to campendium as well as freecampsites.net to find places to stay. Campendium is nice because it also pulls in paid sites or overnight parking options. It is a bit more of a catch all if you are willing to pay for your nights rest!
With all of our research, we have found some pretty awesome boondocking spots.